Review ~ All the Pretty Lies by M. Leighton

All the Pretty LiesTitle: All the Pretty Lies
Author: M. Leighton
Series: Pretty #1
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance
Published: 12th November 2013






“Live, no regrets”

Her…

Sloane Locke has led a sheltered life. However, with a history like hers, she can understand why her brothers and her father want so much to protect her. She has gone along with it for twenty long years, but those days are over. For the girl who never makes promises, Sloane has made a pact with herself that things will change on her twenty-first birthday. So when the clock strikes midnight, Sloane strikes out to spread her wings and break a few rules.

Him…

In addition to inking skin, Hemi Spencer possesses many talents. Controlling himself has never been one of them. It’s never had to be. He’s lived a life of indulgence for as long as he can remember. Right up until tragedy struck. Now, he’s nothing but controlled. He’s a man on a mission, one who will let nothing and no one stand in his way.

Them…
Nothing in their lives could’ve prepared Sloane and Hemi for what they’d find in each other—distraction and obsession, love and possession. But the one thing they can’t find is a future. Neither one has been totally honest. And they’ll soon learn that the devil is in the details. In the details and in the lies.

How far will two people go to live in the now when the now is all they’ve got?
Michelle Leighton… You have rocked my world yet again with the first book in your Pretty series! Right from the beginning when we meet Sloane and Sarah as they step into the tattoo parlour I knew it was going to be an amusing, hot and sexy ride and boy was it ever! As soon as Hemi stepped out, my jaw hit the floor and I was imagining his pierced brow raising as he flirts with Sloane… Then the other brow … And all MY lady parts were tingling! The more I got to know each character, the more I liked them and was cheering for Sloane and Hemi to work out. But as usual there are secrets that cause turmoil and they have to fight hard to see if they can get their HEA.
“You have no idea what you looked like up there. With your hair put up and a few curls dangling down on your shoulder.” Reaching out, Hemi fingers the strands that still rest there. “Your lips so red and kissable.” His eyes rise to my mouth. I have the sudden urge to moisten my lips. “And your breasts, so round and firm. Oh, God!” he groans, “I’ve never wanted to touch somebody so bad in all my life. Not one person. Ever. My tongue tingled just thinking about sucking one of those pink little nipples into my mouth. And when you looked up at me, I could see it in your eyes. You were wishing the same thing. You were wishing I was touching you.” His voice is low and thick, hypnotic. It oozes over my skin like molasses. “Tell me you were wishing I was touching you.” - Kindle Loc 2293
Sloane is an art major and decided to get a tattoo so that she can show to everyone that she can spread her wings and make decisions for herself. Her life has been sheltered but mostly because her father and three brothers are cops, so people are intimidated by that. She is such a great character and I liked her from the very first page of the book. She wants to live her life like it may be her last… Just like the first line in the blurb “Live, no regrets”.
He trails his hands down my arms, dragging the straps with them, peeling the dress from my body. I feel the cool air hit my stomach when the material falls to the ground. His lips still on mine, Hemi skims his hands down my back. When he reaches my hips, I feel him moan into my mouth. He pulls his head back. “What’s wrong?” I pant, looking up into his handsome face. “You’re not wearing anything else.” I shrug. “What was the point?” - Kindle Loc 2314
Hemi… tattoo artist extraordinaire, with a touch that can melt you… If he laid his hands on me there is no way I could deny him! See… I’ve sold you already, huh? We see that he has a dark past and you are always guessing what is. He is very hesitant about revealing details about himself but he starts to open up other parts of him for Sloane to see.
“Why do you want me to go?” “Because guys like me change girls like you.” “Girls like me?” “Innocent girls.” “What if I’m not that innocent?” His lips quirk in a wry grin. “Oh, you’re exactly that innocent. I can practically smell it on you. Sweet, pure, untouched. And, if I’m being honest, I’d like nothing better than to taste that on the tip of my tongue.” - Kindle Loc 563
Sloane’s best friend Sarah is a hoot. I love these secondary characters that Michelle writes into her stories. They usually have me cracking up and Sarah is no different. She speaks her mind, constantly banters with Sloane and keeps her grounded. I’m intrigued about other characters in the book too, including Sloane’s brothers and I hope we get to see more of them one day!!
“Are you always this easy?” Before I have to try to formulate some pithy or flirtatious (or stupid) reply, Sarah speaks up for the first time since I laid down. “Hell no! She’s stubborn as a mule.” “So it’s just me then.” - Kindle Loc 197
Although the book begins with a lot of banter, flirting and fun, you can soon see a hint of a serious side of the plot peeking through. I enjoyed trying to unravel the puzzle to see the bigger picture.  I love how Michelle weaves her stories likes this and the plot builds until crap hits the fan!! There is no denying the chemistry between these two. And when they finally go the distance… Oh boy, there are fireworks all over the place! It was sizzling… Michelle can write the best sex scenes OMG! I had to put the book down just to cool off *Fans self* The next book in the series is All the Pretty Poses and is due out February 2014… I can’t wait!!




Other Reviews from M. Leighton

Bad Boys Series

Wild Ones Series

Madly Series



14 comments:

  1. AHhh I am so glad you loved this one too! This is easily my favorite of hers other than The Wild Ones! Loved Hemi and Sloane. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME REVIEW!


    I know, I really need to get to this one! I loved your review and it's making me all excited (and tingly) just by reading it! I definitely want to meet Hemi!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review makes me want this even more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds VERY steamy! I love that Leighton writes strong secondary characters - it makes such a difference in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it was and so much fun.... I cannot imagine what I'd do if someone like him tried to tattoo me... those hands... see, I think it's made me a little naughty!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. Thanks for sharing the sexy quotes. One of the things I love most about M. Leighton is the layers in her novels and never knows what is going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOo sounds excellent Naomi! Crazy all the tattoo parlor reads coming out lately but man they all look so good! Adding this one to the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved All the Pretty Lies! M. Leighton is amazing! I agree with you that even though there was bantering, fun, and flirting, there was also a very series side to this story! Hemi sure made me sown over and over again! Excellent Review!


    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just cannot believe how many fab stories she writes... I love EVERYTHING! I even read Until I Break the other day.... OMG! I want it back!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too.... She is a fantastic author!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!! It will make you more than just tingly!! Get it girl... it's sooooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GET IT!!! I tell ya!! So good!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It must be time for the change... they all shift together!! Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is mind blowing!! There is not one book I haven't enjoyed!! And Hemi.... he can come visit me any day!! lol

    ReplyDelete

If you can't leave a comment please EMAIL ME a quick message!! Disqus may have some tweeks :)